Watch the documentary Mickey Mouse Monopoly: Disney, Childhood & Corporate Power and answer the following questions. Make sure to share your own thoughts and experiences of Disney movies. The documentary is available through the library’s subscription to Kanopy.
- Why do some people argue that Disney is such a powerful corporation, unlike other major corporations?
- How does Disney model their masculine and feminine characters? Do these characters mirror reality? If not, then what do they mirror?
- How does Disney model racialized or ethnicized characters?
- Why did the New York Times print the opinion piece entitled: “It’s racist, but, hey, it’s Disney”? Do you agree or disagree?
- Why are some of the commentators concerned about the commercialization of Disney?