Guidelines for Unit 3 Assignment
1) Guidelines: There are 3 parts to the Unit 3 Assignment. All three parts must be address and all three parts must be submitted together in a single document. Guidelines for each part are located in the links below.
2) Research and Citations: The Unit Exams are not timed, so you may use your textbook, the videos, or other outside sources. In the case of the textbook and the videos, only direct quotes need to be cited, requiring only the author’s last name in parentheses. Outside sources (books, websites, etc.) may also be used, but in this case all information must be cited and must be listed in a works cited (or bibliography) at the end of the essay. For your citations, please use Chicago, MLA, or APA. You will submit your paper through plagiarism checking software, so be sure to cite any and all direct quotes. For help with citations, see the “History / Writing Help” section of the course menu.
3) Submission: All three parts of the Unit 3 Assignment must be submitted together in a single word processing document. Each Unit Exam is worth 100 points of the final grade, and will be due by 11:55 PM on the date listed in the course calendar. All papers must be submitted through the course website and must be one of the following file types: .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt. Do NOT submit .pdf, .pages, or google doc files.
Primary Source Comparison (20 points)
Part 1 Questions: Using the documents attached above, the textbook, and the videos, write a short essay (minimum 400 words) answering the following questions: The documents are attached below.
1. Compare Woodrow Wilson’s “Fourteen Points, 1918” (document 1) to Franklin D. Roosevelt’s “Four Freedoms, 1941” (document 2). In what ways do you think Wilson’s ideas influenced Roosevelt?
2. If Wilson’s Fourteen Points had been fully implemented in the Treaty of Versailles (1919), which points do you think might have avoided future conflicts? Could World War II have been avoided? Could the Cold War have been avoided?
3. Apply Roosevelt’s Four Freedoms to the Cold War. In what ways do you think Roosevelt’s ideas continued to influence American leaders into the Cold War era? (You can use Eisenhower’s Farewell Address from the Unit 3 Primary Source Assignment to answer this question).
PART 2 QUESTION (40 points)
For part 2 , write the essay, which covers chapter 22 and part of chapter 23 in the textbook. Grades will be based on the content of the answer and must be more than 500 words in length. Direct quotes do not count toward the required word count.
1. Discuss World War II’s impact on ethnic minorities in America. How did the experiences of Asian-Americans, Native Americans, and Mexican-Americans compare? How did their experiences differ on both the individual and group level? Be sure to consider these experiences in the context of the war on all fronts when composing your response.
PART 3 QUESTION ( 40 POINTS)
For part 3, write the essay, which covers part of chapter 23 and all of chapter 24 in the textbook. Grades will be based on the content of the answer and must be more than 500 words in length. Direct quotes do not count toward the required word count.
1. Discuss the changes in the American economy during the postwar period. Be sure to discuss the agricultural, industrial, and consumer sectors of the economy.